Friday, August 17, 2007

Camping at Mt. Longonot

As one can obviously tell from the picture above, some time has passed between my last camping trip few years ago and my recent revival of camping adventures at Mount Longonot in Kenya. Bought exactly to the day one year ago, this tent has been badly abandoned in the deepness of my cupboard since then. I confess, putting it up was a bit of a challenge, but eventually Oliver (below) succeeded to set it up in a way acceptable to both of us.
At nightfall, I had to face another challange: lighting up a fire. Again, it seemed that I had lost all my boy scout knowledge: it took one full hour, until a small fire illuminated the darkness of a kenyan night. The rest of the evening was spend sipping warm tusker beer, sporadically putting additional wood into the fire, chatting about the past, the present and the future, or just listening to the sounds of the nature around us.
How had I manage to survive for few years without any camping trip? Thinking back to the night at Longonot, I must admit that a night in a tent is better than a night in any of the hotels I had stayed over the last years.
 

Free Blog Counter