Thursday, January 11, 2007

Early mornings in Somaliland

It was one of these nights where I closed my eyes just to open them again. Having written my daily notes, I tried to catch some sleep at around eleven. But thoughts about my life and it's surroundings kept me awake. With some fear I am following the happenings in the South of Somalia, that are every thing else than promising. Just like myself I get the impression that all what the president of the TFG (transitional federal government) is doing or saying fires back on him, and more sad, on the people living there. Not to forget of course about the many other actors that mingle once again with Somalia.

At three I decided to call my sister, in Zuerich, taking advantage of the two hours difference in time. Although I like Somaliland, it is not always easy to stay here. Life consists pretty much of work and reading, and of talking to other slightly desperate expatriates. People can be desperate of many things here in this country, but the biggest desperation is in my view the abstinence from beloved ones. At least for me. In moments like this last night it therefore feels like balsam on the soul to talk to somebody who lives a "normal" life, and to discover that also these "normal" lives come in a package of up and downs.

At five am I was still awake, by now however every thought of maybe catching some sleep had to be abandoned. From every corner in the town, hundreds of muezzins invited in high and low voices the inhabitants of Hargeisa to join the morning prayer. I know some collegues of mine who feel a bit disturbed by this morning dolby surround concert. Personally I dont mind them. Dont ask me why, but whenever I hear these sounds, and I breath in the fresh morning air, I feel reminded of winter in Europe. Maybe thats because it is pretty cold at the moment here in Somaliland.

After listening to the words of the muezzins, whose contents I can't understand, but whose sound still makes me breath out and relax, I decided to start the day instead of waiting for the alarm bell to tell me "its time to get up". Maybe the reason why I like mornings is because they are all mine. I can sit in the office, and work, without being obliged to talk to other people. I can also just sit on the balkony, watch the sky turning bright, and imagine things. And I can communicate to people while they are still asleep, as I am doing now. Everything feels fresh, full of energy, during morning hours. The air is filled with mist, instead of dust as later in the day. No bad noise disturbes these moments.

I also had a short talk with some of our watchman, who was standing, wrapped up in a blanket, in front of the house. He had seen the lights in my room go on and off several times during the night, and gave me the advice to simply use the evening hours to evaluate the past day instead of thinking too much about the coming days. I guess its also these brief interactions that keep me going here in Somaliland, and that give me the feeling that what I am doing makes sense.

Being conscious of that, I would say its time to start my work :-) Have a nice day, and for all those who are not yet early risers, I can only say: try it out! Mornings have lots to offer.
 

Free Blog Counter